Q: Black Dash with no Crank on 2004 Honda Civic

asked by on March 18, 2017

2004 Honda Civic won't crank. With the key in position two, everything looks normal: lights work, radio works, doors lock, windows open, indicators are on. However, as soon as I turn the key to start (3rd position) everything immediately goes black--a total shutdown; nothing works. When I return the key to 2nd position, the dash remains black, controls don't work. Removing the key and waiting a few minutes returns to initial state. But still no crank. Replaced battery, replaced starter, replaced the ignition circuit. Checked all fuses, wires, and terminals--all OK.

Hi there. It is quite possible that your ignition lock cylinder has a mechanical glitch that is creating a massive electrical short once it’s activated to the third ignition switch. In most cases, the best way to resolve this problem is to replace the ignition lock cylinder as tracing this problem will typically require you to remove it anyways; and it more trouble than it is worth.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr