Q: Used a quick fix for my broken power window: hold switch up and slam door. What might need replacing if it worked for me?

asked by on May 18, 2017

A few weeks ago, I rolled down all the power windows in my car to feel the fresh spring air. Afterwards all but the rear right window went back up. Found a quick fix for a power window not going up online: hold the switch up and slam the door. This worked once for me. It is not working the second time around. I figure since this is a known solution, there might be a known cause. Is this issue known? It would be great to know which component to replace. For the record, no strange sounds are heard, the window does not lurch when the switch is pressed, neither driver nor passenger switches work, and the window will go down, but not up.

Window is not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. In most cases, the quick fix that you learned online will lead you to knowing what component was damaged. In this case, if you press a window switch and slam the door, it will shake or rattle the connections to the switch and "magically" roll the window up. As such, the problem is most likely either the individual motor on that window or the switch relay to that window. It’s probably a better idea to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a window does not work inspection, so they can inspect your car and determine exactly what needs to be repaired.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr