Q: 2000 Mercury Mystique jerks, sudden increase in RPMs, whirring sounds

asked by on July 27, 2016

My car has an automatic transmission. When I'm driving at speeds around 60 mph, the car starts jerking. Then, the RPM suddenly jumps to 3500 or even higher. Also, I've noticed a whirring sound. It seems to be coming from a belt. What should I do?

Hello. I suggest that a technician inspect the following things. First the transmission fluid level should be checked. Low transmission fluid could cause a vehicle jerk. Also, the condition of the wheel bearings and CV axles should be inspected because they may also cause a jerk if they wear out noticeably. The belt noise could be from a bad pulley but the jerking problem would have to be diagnosed in person to be sure. Keep in mind that bad CV axles and wheel bearings have been known to make somewhat of a whirring sound, so it may not be the belt you are hearing.