Q: What would happen if the wrong catalytic converter was installed in my 2001 Toyota Camry

I had my catalytic converter replaced about 4 months ago. when i went to get the car smogged, the representative said my catalytic converter was incorrect for my car. What problems will this cause? The check engine light is on now. Is this due to the catalytic converter not being the right fit? I live in California with the insane emissions controls.

My car has an automatic transmission. 2001 Toyota camry XLE v6.

Hello. The wrong converter will cause your check engine light to come on and will cause you to not pass emissions. It can also cause some performance and efficiency issues over time. There are specific converters built for all vehicles and that is what needs to be used, especially in California. You need to take it back to the shop that installed the wrong one as it is against emission regulations to install the wrong converter in California.

3. What would happen if the wrong catalytic converter was installed in my 2001 Toyota Camry