Q: Bluetooth works engine off

My Bluetooth voice only works when my engine isn’t running. And it works OK with the key turned on and engine not running. When I start the engine the Bluetooth calling on an after market Bluetooth device is unusable. I have a Parrot Asteroid Classic radio with Bluetooth. iphone 4 and 5 don’t work with this radio. It has a lot of known problems but Bluetooth isn’t one of them. My Parrot radio installer who has 30 years experience dealing with AM noise can’t figure it out because there is no AM noise. He switched out the radios changing the ground from float to chassis. I have tried different phones and phones from different distances in case the iphone is creating some magnetic interference. Could there be a known problem with these vans with interference coming from a specific part of the engine such as the alternator?

A: Hello. EMI (electromagnetic interference) i...

Hello. EMI (electromagnetic interference) is electromagnetic energy that is passed through electronic devices. EMI is disruptive and can affect bluetooth devices and/or your GMC Safari’s electronic system if not properly shielded. This is not a common problem, but it is possible that any of the engine electronic components are causing EMI, and affecting the performance of your bluetooth.

It is also possible that external factors like, power lines, satellites, radio towers, may be causing electromagnetic interference, causing your bluetooth to malfunction when the engine is on. If your problem is, in fact, electromagnetic interference (EMI) certain internal engine systems may be greatly affected and potentially dangerous, such as the ignition system, the electronic braking system, the tire pressure monitoring system, the fuel control system, the air bag, and/or the powertrain control module (PCM). Other Parrot Asteroid Classic Radios with bluetooth may or may not present the same problem.