Q: Buying my first saturn used

asked by on November 11, 2017

My 1999 saturn sl2 wont get up past 25 30 mph and the guy i got it from said it needs a new transmission but it moves fine pretty much but it blows white smoke a little bit no engine problems i feel it might be the clutch but i need help

If the clutch is actually slipping,you will be able to hear the engine speed increase even though the speed of the car does not. If your car has a tachometer, you will see the engine speed go up, but not the vehicle speed. You might even be able to coax the car to a higher speed by backing off on the accelerator. Once the clutch is worn out enough to start slipping, it produces a lot of heat so it deteriorates very quickly. If you keep driving it in this condition, you could damage the flywheel as well. You should have this car checked out as soon as possible. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Saturn and let you know what it will take to solve your problem.