Q: Can I use 5W-30 A5 oil in my BMW? 2007 BMW 318i

Is it ok to use 5W-30 A5 oil in my BMW 318i?

Hi there. BMW is among one of the most restrictive in regards to the oil(s) they recommend for use. BMW has a set list of oil brands and types that are safe to use in their vehicles. Your vehicle’s class and year, as well as the climate you live in, could affect which kind of oil you should use. Oil for BMW’s must have an API rating of SM or higher; your recommended SAE grade* will vary based on climate. A few of the recommended oils for your 2007 BMW include Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 and Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30. If you live in a cold weather climate, the use of the 0W-40 is best. If you live in warmer weather climates, the 5W-30 Valvolline SynPower is best.

From the BMW USA web site: 5W30 LL01-spec for the 318i

“BMW long-life rating of LL-01.” The BMW LL-01 spec oil options listed were:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0w-30 (rumor has it that this is the oil BMW relabels to sell as BMW Genuine Oil SAE 5w-30 Synthetic Oil) Mobil 1 SAE 0w-40 Penzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5w-30 Valvoline SynPower SAE 5w-30

Not sure what your "A5" reference is to.

3. Can I use 5W-30 A5 oil in my BMW? 2007 BMW 318i