I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra that won't start. xterra 200...

Q: I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra that won't start.

asked by on October 08, 2017

My 2002 Nissan Xterra will not start. All the lights work inside the windows roll down, the head lights work. The cables to the battery aren't lose. We checked the fuses and the alarm hasn't gone off

If there is power to the rest of the vehicle, this is likely related to a faulty wiring issue or potentially something like a bad starter relay or connection to the starter. The starter relay directs power from the battery to the starter solenoid which then engages the starter when you turn the key. When this is not working properly, you may notice intermittent starting problems including no response when turning the key to start. Generally, when this does fail, it does so very randomly and usually without warning other than intermittent starting. The power from the battery will still power other accessories such as radio, horn, etc., but you may not have any power to the starter. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.