Q: Car only drives in first gear

asked by on March 15, 2016

The gears will not shift. The car will only drive in first and the key is stuck in the ignition.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Sounds like you might be having an issue with your shifter mechanism. If the shifter is not fully in park, they key usually wont come out of the lock cylinder. Depending on the location of the shifter you many have debris stuck in there or possibly a broken shift lever cable. I advise seeking help from a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic. The technician should be able to check out why your car is hard to shift and clean out any debris that may have fallen into the mechanism.