Q: Car ticking, sounding like a tractor

When I start my car, I hear a ticking sound in the motor. If I continue to drive, it sounds like a tractor.

A ticking sound coming from the motor can sometimes be normal, but in this case there are a few possibilities. The oil level should be checked by a qualified technician to ensure the motor has enough oil for proper lubrication. When a motor doesn’t have enough oil to properly lubricate all of the needed systems premature engine wear and serious internal engine damage can occur. The ticking could be one or more of the hydraulic lifters located in the cylinder heads making noise from lack of oil delivery. The longer this condition is present the more engine damage will occur. A proper inspection of your car’s ticking sound can easily be set up by one of the qualified technicians here at YourMechanic to ensure your safety while driving.

3. Car ticking, sounding like a tractor