Honda Pilot engine misfire when cold out and engine runni...

Q: Honda Pilot engine misfire when cold out and engine running warmer than usual?

The engine in my 2007 Honda Pilot is misfiring when the temperature outside is below freezing. The check engine light comes on and the codes read as such. I have also noticed the engine is running warmer than usual and the fan seems to run longer than it should after the engine is shut off. What is the issue? Could it be O2 sensor?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty coolant temperature sensor. This sensor relays the temperature of the coolant back to the ECM which uses this information to control many things such as when to turn the coolant fans on and off as well as how much to adjust the air to fuel ratio in the motor. Both of these functions are affected when this sensor is not working properly. If the senor is reading incorrectly, this may cause inaccurate temperatures to be read, thus causing inaccurate adjustments to be made to fuel and to the operation of the cooling fans (i.e. staying on too long or not coming on soon enough to help keep the motor cool). I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.