Q: car wont start, acts like its not getting gas.

My father has a 1970 Chevelle malibu and it acts like its not getting gas, everything seems to be fine, he put gas in it hes replaced numerous things and i dont know what to do.

Hi there. Check to see if the fuel that was in the system was old and sitting for a while. If so, I recommend putting in a fuel water evaporator chemical that can be purchased at a local parts store. This will clean up any water in the fuel system. Then, remove the fuel line from the carburetor and put it into a bottle or bucket. Crank the engine over until the fuel is clean and not clear. Then remove the carburetor and remove the accelerator pump. Clean the pump out and clean out the float as well. Put the pump back on and put the carburetor back on the engine. Hook up the fuel hose and crank the engine over. After a few times of cranking the engine should start. If the engine still does not start, then check the distributor and make sure that it is timed correctly. Make sure that the rotor is pointing at cylinder number 1 with the cylinder number 1 at Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke. You can adjust the distributor for advance and retard. Check the spark plugs and see if they are rusty or corroded. If they are, I suggest replacing the spark plugs with the OEM specified parts along with new plug wires. If you are still having trouble starting your engine, then I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. car wont start, acts like its not getting gas.