Q: Recommendation on how thick oil to use on a 2004 Corolla

I have a 2004 Corolla with 115,000 miles and it is due for an oil change. It is supposed to use 5 weight 30 but right now it uses 10 weight 30. People tell me to use thicker oil like 20 weight 50. Should I stick with the 10-30 or change 20 weight 50?

A: It depends on what shape your engine is in....

It depends on what shape your engine is in. If you’ve been using 10-30W and it runs fine and doesn’t burn any oil, then just keep using 10-30W. That’s perfectly fine. But on the other hand, if it burns oil, use 20-50W. I have a 1994 Toyota Celica, which has a Corolla engine that has been using the same engine for 10 years. I use Castrol 20-50W and I have been using it for 5 years.

It runs fine and doesn’t burn any oil. As it gets to be older, it’s a good idea to go to heavier oil if it burns a little oil. I’ve bought it from a customer and it burned a little oil for her, now it burns no oil for me because I switched to 20-50W Castrol oil. If you’d like to have an oil change taken care of at your home or office, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to service your car with the correct oil.