Q: What is the maximum load weight?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What is the maximum load weight?

Knowing your the maximum load weight of your vehicle is important to ensure you don’t overload your care and put you and your vehicle at risk. There are two places on your vehicle with labels that show your car’s maximum weight load: The ‘Tire and Loading Information’ label and the “Certification/Tire” label.

Your “Tire and Loading Information” is attached to the center pillar (the B-Pillar.) Locate the label by looking at your driver door and finding the door lock post (striker). The label should be right below it. This label will explain vehicle specific information, including the maximum occupant seating positions and the maximum vehicle capacity weight.

To determine the load limit of your vehicle, use the ‘Tire and Loading Information’ label and follow these simple steps:

1. Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers that will be riding with you.

2. Subtract this combined weight sum from the XXXkg or XXXlbs on the label. (This can be located in the statement “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXXkg or XXXlbs”).

3. This number equals the maximum amount of cargo and luggage you may load into the vehicle.

4. Determine the combined weight of your cargo and luggage that you will be loading into the vehicle. If this number exceeds the previous calculation, you cannot drive your car safely will this load.

Your ‘Certification / Tire’ label can be found at the driver door’s rear edge. This label will display other important, vehicle specific information, including the tire inflation pressures necessary to load the gross weight capacity (called Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, or GVWR) into your vehicle. This GVWR will take into account the weight of all occupants, fuel, and cargo. This label also displays the maximum front and rear axle weights (called Gross Axle Weight Rating, or GAWR). Note: Your vehicle specific maximum weights for your axles can only be precisely calculated at a weight station by weighing your vehicle. If you have any questions about your maximum weight, contact a qualified mechanic.