Q: Converting to OEM HID headlights

I am trying to convert my EVO OEM halogen headlights, to OEM discharge (HID) headlights. The stock wiring harness came with the connection for the HIDs, which I plugged in. The problem is my daytime running lights (DRL) are flickering and doing so in the main headlight (outside), instead of the location that should be the DRL (inside). As I understand it, the halogen DRL uses the low beam, while the HID system uses a separate bulb in the location where the high beam is located on the Halogen system. That is what the extra connection on the HID wiring harness is for. The HIDs were an option on my car (Sight and Sound) so one would think this swap would not be a big deal. I also understand that the headlight system does not involve the ETACS. My research so far has found that there is a different configuration in the fuse (relay) box for the HID system. A buddy of mine provided me with a photo of his relay box, and I configured mine the same. No luck. When I went to Mitsubishi parts, it used my VIN to provide me with a diagram of my relay box. I wonder if I were to provide them with a VIN from a car with HIDs, whether I would get a different diagram. I need to find someone who is very familiar with the electrical system on my EVO.

A: Yes, the wiring harnesses and daytime runni...

Yes, the wiring harnesses and daytime running light operation is completely different for both the HID and halogen systems. The EVO with the HID lights has a separate relay and wiring that runs the DRL's in a bulb positioned where the high beam bulb would go in the headlamp assembly. The halogen system is wired differently, so the low beam bulb would be used for the DRL; there is no separate relay for the DRL, it actually uses the low beam circuit as if you turned on the low beam lights.

Looking at the wiring diagrams between the two systems, I do not see how you could easily make this work without wiring in a separate circuit for DRL, placing bulbs in the high beam spots of the headlamp assembly, and programming the DRL feature out of the ETACS-ECU to keep the system from trying to activate the low beams. You may be able to install a ETACS-ECU for an HID system in your vehicle, if the HID wiring harness is in the vehicle, and install an HID relay in the relay box.

That being said, I do not recommend that you alter wiring, or install equipment not rated for your vehicle. You may want to consult with your dealer to see if there is a manufacturer upgrade to properly install an HID lighting system.