Q: Cost for transmission replacement

Car starts and drive in first gear. Not able to shift to higher gears.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Re-manufactured transmissions for this vehicle cost in the neighborhood of $3,000, not including installation. Prior to deciding to re-build the car’s existing transmission (a good, lower cost option) or replacing it with a re-manufactured unit (a higher cost option), the best thing to do is request a no shift diagnostic because you could have an issue as simple as a faulty valve body, shift solenoid, or problem with external control such as a vehicle speed sensor, throttle position sensor, transmission control module and so forth. If it turns out that a diagnostic shows the transmission to not be repairable on the vehicle, sure you could be stuck with that outcome but you could just as likely find that there is a solution and an on vehicle repair. So, the best thing for you is to seek a professional diagnostic, get more information about exactly what the problem is, and then you can make an informed decision. Also, as noted, keep in mind that your existing transmission is re-buildable and mechanics do rebuild transmissions although you do have to find the right person. They are NOT all that complicated but the work is painstaking and highly detailed. Please let us know how we can assist you further and if you have further questions or concerns on this issue.