Q: Idler pulley broke off metal it was attached to after results from a crooked pulley and multiple serpentine belt slips.

asked by on June 17, 2017

My idler pulley broke off the metal that wasn't supporting it. I found the pulley under my car with a piece of the metal attached to it. I took the belt and compressor off to try and bond the metal so back together with jandb bond and loctite. The loctitie is holding up but I haven't put the serpentine belt back on yet. I'm concerned the tension from the pulley will cause it to pop right back off. What do you think are my best options inexpensively?

Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement $134.17 - $573.33 Get a Quote

You’re right in that the stress will be too great and it will come apart again. This is not something you can fix with glue. You will need to take off all of the broken parts and replace them with new. My bet is that you will find a broken or stripped bolt at the bottom of all this that led to the failure. If you don’t want to get all the way into this job, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to examine your broken brackets and let you know what it is going to take to fix it.