Q: Replaced brake pads, but tires sqeak when I stop

I just replaced the brake pads on my car. The front brakes are squeaking when I come to a stop. How can I stop the squeaking?

One common mistake that can be made when replacing brake pads is forgetting to spray the brake rotors down with brake cleaner before installing them. This applies to new and used rotors:

• New rotors have a sticky adhesive material coating to help protect them while they are on the shelf.

• Used rotors will likely have lots of brake dust on them which can also cause brake noise.

For best results, the rotors should either be resurfaced or replaced any time the pads are replaced. If the brakes are replaced in this manner, the likelihood of brake noise will be at a minimum. YourMechanic offers certified mechanics who come to your house or job and would be happy to assist you by inspecting your brakes and locating the noise, then recommending the best path to repair.

3. Replaced brake pads, but tires sqeak when I stop