Q: What sensor can cause delayed shift on a hard acceleration

asked by on November 01, 2016

I have a rebuilt transmission with about 12,000 miles on it and a year old recently it's started to act up such as when in cruise control and hitting a hill it will do a little jerk motion then downshift from overdrive. And when going about 25 mph and putting it to the floor it downshifts to first and barely accelerates, but when put to the floor from a dead stop it has no problems except delayed shift and sometimes even hits rev limiter. This leads me to believe it's a sensor of some kind especially considering it's a fairly fresh rebuild.

Hey there. The transmission control module (TCM) helps regulate fuel efficiency and power while storing information about the transmission system in its memory. A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or erratic shifting of gears. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform its function.

Other components controlled by the TCM are components such as a kick down switch, traction control system, and cruise control module. Any of these may also affect the way the transmission control module performs and controls the transmission and the shifting of your car. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to properly diagnose the shifting issue and advise on the correct repair.