Q: Driving at 46 mph, SUV has resonance sound & slight vibration

asked by on July 25, 2016

After purchasing my vehicle used, I started noticing a resonance sound and a small vibration when I would be driving around 46 mph. The dealership balanced the tires, but the sound and vibration still existed. I returned to the dealership and they test drove it and fortunately they heard the noise and felt the vibration. They said there is no solution to these problems and they have had complaints of this kind from other drivers of my make/model. They said that it is caused when the SUV shifts into 5th gear of the 6-gear transmission, plus the weight of the vehicle and the 6-speed transmission dealing with that weight was the reason for the problem. The didn’t have any service notices from GM or Chevrolet that had addressed this issue. I was told that the problem is not dangerous to the vehicle. Even though it’s annoying, I will have to live with it. Do you agree with them that there is nothing that can be done to correct the sound and the vibration?

Hi there. This is a common issue on this vehicle that GM has yet to fix. It is an issue with the calibrations in the computer to try and balance the power of the vehicle and the weight to get the right change in valve timing and shifting to keep it from happening. As of right now there is no fix, but most of the time it can be slightly alleviated by reprogramming the computers. Most of the time this calibration will help it to function better. If you take it to the dealer they may try this for you.

I would also contact GM’s nation customer service to get them involved because the more people that complain, the harder they work towards a fix. If you’d like a second opinion on this, contact YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come diagnose the sound and vibration you’re experiencing.