Q: 2007 Altima VDC/Slip light and lights won't go off.

asked by on August 26, 2017

The Slip/VDC lights came on along w/ my brake light. I pressed the VDC Off button, turned the car off, and restarted to see if the VDC system would reset. It wouldn't and I still hear something "running". Would that be the VDC system? How do I get it to turn off? I plan on taking it to my mechanic on Monday, but don't know what exactly could be 'running' and don't want it to do any permanent damage. Thank you for your help!

The VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) light indicates that there may be an issue with the vehicle’s traction control system. The traction control system monitors the steering and stability of the vehicle and engages when loss of traction has been detected. This is done by the use of electronic sensors at each of the four wheels that communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) regarding steering performance and stability in adverse weather conditions. The traction control system works by reducing engine speed and determining which wheel to apply brake pressure to in order to prevent the vehicle from sliding. The anti-lock braking system and the traction control system work together to maintain the stability of the vehicle. The computer uses this information received from electronic sensors regarding the rotational speed of each wheel, the horizontal motion of the vehicle, and the vertical motion of the vehicle to determine how to direct the traction control system or the anti-lock braking system to best control the vehicle when needed. When this warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard, this could be an indication of several issues such as faulty wheel speed sensors, a faulty steering angle sensor, a faulty rotational speed sensor or a problem with the steering rack. In some cases, the traction control system may simply need to be reprogrammed. In addition, when any of these symptoms are detected, some vehicles may go into limp mode rendering the vehicle unable to accelerate beyond about ~30mph. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.