Q: My car is making a humming noise when press the gas

asked by on November 28, 2016

While driving when gas peddle is pressed there is humminh noise that is coming from under the auto. Almost sounds like the tires

Tires with irregular wear can cause a humming noise, just as wheel bearings or possible differential issues can. Here’s a way to possible narrow it down. If the tires are making noise, they can be heard outside the vehicle. Making sure you are in a safe area, if you drive next to a wall, curb, or other type of barrier with your window open, you will hear the tires making noise. This can generally be caused by irregular wear that created high and low spots. For example, make a fist with your left hand and run your open right hand against your knuckles. Then run your open hand across the tread area of your tires. If you feel anything like your knuckles as far as high and low areas, then your tires can be the cause. Rotating them so the wear evens out may help, but if the wear is bad enough, the noise may only change location rather than go away.

Wheel bearing noise is typically only heard inside the vehicle and will generally change pitch when the vehicle moves side to side, say when changing lanes on the highway. If that happens, then the front wheel bearings are most likely at fault. Rear axle noises will generally happen when it is under load, like only when accelerating. If the noise changes pitch when you are on or off the gas pedal, the source can be in the driveline - rear axle, driveshaft, etc.

If none of this helps, have a certified technician look into the driveline noise to isolate the exact cause.