Q: Harsh ride over potholes

Replaced shocks and springs with kyb. All 4 tires with michelins. In my honda accord 2007 lx.Yet every time i go over a pot hole i feel it a lot compared to newer cars that i rent while travelling. Any suggestions as to what part could be replaced to get most bang for the buck to make my ride more cushioned ? I live close to Houston Tx. Thanks. Arvran@aol.com.

A: Hi there: In general, OEM parts are design...

Hi there:

In general, OEM parts are designed to maximize comfort and tend to wear out sooner than they really should. This is why OEM tires wear out so quickly. Aftermarket parts (in general) are designed to maximize performance or increase longevity. Depending on the manufacturer of the part and more importantly; how they are installed, can seriously impact ride comfort. In regards to the tires, Michelin are typically very smooth, but high performance tires that are made for extensive use; which is why many of their passenger tires have 80,000 mile warranties. However, with your Accord, it’s possible you have a performance tire rating of at least "H"; which tends to be built for handling, and optimal traction as opposed to ride comfort. Some of the OEM Accord tires are "T" rated; lower than "H" and built again for comfort. If you’re looking for ’bang for the buck’ but to optimize road comfort, you should stick with OEM; as though many aftermarket parts are outstanding; they are targeted to consumers looking for performance gains. Plus, remember one reality about vehicles and comparing rides. If you’re renting new cars, technology has improved so much in recent years, so it’s not really a fair comparison to relate their ride comfort with a car built 9 years ago.