Q: Car wont reverse gear

asked by on November 14, 2017

Why my car wont reverse "sometimes" even after transmission oil change but could reverse after a short drive?

When an automatic transmission starts to fail, reverse is frequently the first to go. Your transmission has a number of clutch disks and bands in it that have a friction lining much like a conventional clutch and like a conventional clutch, they can wear until they start to slip. Since the transmission is operated by hydraulic pressure, how well it works can depend on the temperature, speed and other conditions. But the bottom line is probably that it is about time for a transmission replacement or rebuild. To be sure, you should have it checked out by a professional, and you can do that conveniently by contacting YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Lexus transmission and tell you what your options are.