Q: My 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet stalls when engine is warmed up

My car stalls when the engine is warmed up. It hesitates just before stalling. I have put in a new accumulator pump, fuel pump – both 2 years ago. And I just installed new injectors, plugs, rotor and distributor cap. I’ve observed that excessive fuel tank pressure causes the car to stall. When I loosen the gas cap and release the pressure the car will run normally until the pressure builds up again. I replaced the gas cap but it didn’t help. Do you know what might be causing this and how can it be fixed?

A: Hello. There may be a problem with the fill...

Hello. There may be a problem with the filler neck tube or the gas tank itself. If the filler neck or gas tank has started to wear out or deteriorate it may cause excessive fuel tank pressure.

The fuel filter could also cause this problem. Replacing the fuel filter would be a good place to start since this is the least expensive repair. For further help, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the stalling problem in person in order to have this addressed appropriately.