Q: Dealer says I can not use after market U-joints in my 2009 ram 2500

I recently changed the u-joints in my 2009 ram 2500. I got them from NAPA and the process was fairly simple. After I put everything back I got a vibration at about 35 to 40 mph. I took to dealership service center and they said they would take the drive line to get balanced. The shop that does that said they could not spin an aluminum drive line and also noted to the dealer that it looked like after market u-joints was used and that they would not work because they just don't fit tight enough. Now I have never heard of such a thing and want to know if I am getting the shaft from both places????

A: Hello. I have heard something similar from ...

Hello. I have heard something similar from my driveshaft service, with the following explanation: The aluminum driveshafts are a "softer" metal than steel of course, and the process of forcing the old U-joint cups out, and the new ones in can more easily result in a "less-tight" fit between the driveshaft yoke and the U-joint bearing cup. Some driveline shops have special equipment to ensure this problem is avoided. I can’t of course, say in your case if they are misleading you or not, but there is a real sensitivity with this for rebuilding aluminum driveshafts. If you want to get a second look at this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the suspension and advise you on what should be done.