Q: Oil catch can?

Just curious as to if i should get a oil catch can for my new car. I hear they are good for the engine. Keeping blow bye out of the intake. I want to do whats best for the engine since I will have the car for a long time. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

I used an oil catch can on a 2001 Pontiac Montana with a 3.4 L V-6. I think it was made by American Machine Works. It’s very well designed with nice stainless internal baffle. The 3.4 L engine is prone to lots of condensed oil vapors that collect in a low spot in the plenum which gums up the EGR passageways. The catch can in my application collected a huge amount of oil vapors, condensation and other crud that otherwise would have ended up there and in the combustion chamber.

They are very effective but only if you use the type that has a stainless steel internal baffle that looks like a brillo pad but is much coarser to allow air circulation. You need something in the can that the vapors can CONDENSE onto. A simple but cheap empty can will not be as effective.

Watch out for freezing in the winter. I mounted my can ahead of the A/C condenser to get maximum condensation (it’s a cool spot which promotes condensation) but in the winter the collected water will freeze there and prevent PCV valve air circulation.

Depending on your engine, catch cans are very effective, in fact so effective, you have to drain what you have collected weekly. If you’d like a second opinion on this or need some help with the installation, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office and service your vehicle.

3. Oil catch can?