Q: Could this be the TCM causing the problem?

asked by on February 25, 2017

We got off the interstate and was going down the road and the rpms seemed to be going higher than usual so we stopped and I checked the oil. It was good so we were going to crank it to check trans fluid and now it won't crank. It will not even try to turn over but seems like the battery has full power. A man from orileys auto parks came and tested with computer and said the transmission control module (TCM) came up. Could that be my problem?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Yes, no start in the scenario you are describing is possible especially if Code U1000 has set, along with other codes such as P0717, but there are multiple code scenarios or combinations. One quick strategy is to pull and visually check the TCM fuse. The TCM fuse is in the main fuse block and is probably 10 amps. If the fuse is blown, that is confirmation but the faulty fuse means there is a short circuit in the TCM and/or wiring that would have to be traced and repaired. If you desire a mobile diagnostic and repair of the issue, simply request a check engine light diagnostic and a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.