Q: How long can I drive my car with the engine light on?

Check engine light on and dash board saying engine power is reduced

Hi there. It is no good to drive a vehicle with the engine light on. The engine light is on for a sensor has picked up something that is not functioning or operating correctly. Check the computer with a scanner to find out what codes are stored for a diagnostic log. This will help you have a starting place when the light comes on. Most of the time, the check engine light comes on for an ignition failure to a spark plug or plug wire. Other times the light will come on for a faulty fuel pump or a fuel rail pressure sensor showing a loss of pressure. The loss of power is when the computer puts the vehicle into limp mode, which this prevents the engine from getting any damage. If you need further assistance with your check engine light being on with a loss of power, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. How long can I drive my car with the engine light on?