Q: My car will not fill up with gas at the pump

When filling up gas at the pump, the gas nozzle will stop after every few cents. The fuel gauge inside the car correctly reads the fuel level. However, at the pump, I need to keep squeezing the handle for the tank to fill up. It takes about 10-15 minutes of this to fill up my tank. What could be causing this?

A: If it happens at every gas station and not ...

If it happens at every gas station and not just one, there is most likely a problem with your vehicle’s vent / purge system for the fuel tank. When you fill up, the vapors inside the gas tank need to move and expand. They do so through a charcoal canister and purge valve. The vapors are stored there until the car is running. Then they are injected into the engine to be burned away. If the purge valve or charcoal canister are damaged this can cause problems when filling up.