Q: My car has a coolant leak - 2001 Lincoln Town Car

With a.c. on I was getting steam coming through the vents and I noticed leaking coolant under the car near the catalytic converter. It leaked enough that I had to add coolant or it would get hot. I bypassed the heater core to see if it stopped leaking and it did. I'm pretty sure I need a new heater core but in the past it always leaks inside on the carpet not outside under the car. That is making me second guess myself. It seems obvious since the leak stopped after the bypass that it needs a heater core but since it leaks outside the car it confuses me. Is there something on these cars like a drain tube or something that keeps it off the carpet?

A: The heater AC (air conditioning) case has a...

The heater AC (air conditioning) case has a drain to let out condensation from the case. The heater core is positioned in the case that allows it get out through the case drain on the outside of the engine firewall between the center toward the passenger side of the car in the case of a leak. Bypassing the heater core has stopped the leak but the heater and defroster is not inoperative along with the automatic temperature control of the air conditioner. I recommend having the heater core inspected and replaced to fix the system.