Q: Leaking clear liquid

My f250 super duty 5.4 v8 4x4 when I put it in driving goes nowhere but first and reverse works I pulled it in the garage and noticed it was leaking clear liquid from above the transmission it seemed like and started dumping what ever it was out the longer I ran the truck when I shut it off it stops but I don't know what else it is and very confused bought it and was told that the transmission needed replaced but it's not transmission fluid that is leaking

Hello. Leaks that expel clear fluid can come from a few different sources. If the vehicle already has known transmission issues, it may be possible that the leak is related to the transmission, even if the fluid that is leaking is not the traditional red color. If it does not appear that the fluid is coming from the transmission then other possibilities are from the brake system, or the A/C systems. If there is any compromise in the any of the brake system’s hoses or hard lines they may leak brake fluid which can appear as a clear color. Any leaks in the brake system will also cause problem with it’s operation, therefore they should be repaired as soon as possible if detected. Another possibility is that the fluid is from the A/C system, perhaps leaking refrigerant from the vehicle’s A/C lines. If this was the case an accompanying symptom would be an A/C system that does not blow cold air. These are also likely causes due to the fact that it is not uncommon for lines from both of these systems to run near the firewall, above the rear of the engine and transmission. With the hood open I would carefully examine the area near the firewall and any lines that run there for leaks. As leaks can often develop into greater issues, if you are unsure, I would recommend you refrain from driving the vehicle and have a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to diagnose the cause of the leak.