Q: The car cranks, starts up and shuts off right away

Hello. When I attempt to start the car and put the key to the on position in the ignition, there is a dashboard warning indicating the engine loses power. Then, when I crank the car and turn it on, it would shut off right away. I had the fuel system checked along with the battery. It's all fine. What could be the cause? Thank you.

Hi there. This is almost always caused by a failing ignition switch. When it starts to fail and lose internal contact, this can cause these symptoms to occur. I always do a voltage drop test on the switch to see if it is failing first. If it is fine, then it may be a failing battery cable or a body control module problem. The battery cable would need to be tested for good connections and for internal resistance. If that is fine, then the body control module would need to be tested with a scan tool. If you need help having this taken care of, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s starting issue and determine what repairs are necessary.

3. The car cranks, starts up and shuts off right away