Q: fuel pump area noise. 2006 VW Passat 3.6L

2006 VW Passat 3.6L, 97,500 miles. Fuel pump area is making a click, click noise. Code reads it's for the fuel pump. Engine light & ESP light are on. Replaced the fuel pump (twice)(thought I got a bad replacement one) and also replaced the cam shaft follower. The noise is still there and check engine lights are still on. Cam Shaft itself looks OK. Also, checked, with a camera, the dreaded "Oil Bolt" in the timing area to make sure that is not loose and making the noise and that looked OK too. What else could be making the noise?

Hello, and thank you for writing in. The ESP light seems to be out of place, and we need to make sure you do not have several issues going on at once. Typically it lights up when the system is activated and is currently working. If it is blinking, then there may be an issue with the system. However, start with the clicking sounds. This noise in VWs has often been attributed to the fuel lines making contact and clicking with the engine vibrations. Keep in mind the fuel pump relay will click when it is experiencing issues as well. Make sure it is not something that simple before taking more serious corrective actions. You may need to lift the vehicle to get a good look at something like this. You may also want to do some electrical testing to the pump’s terminals to make sure it is getting the amount of voltage that you need. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. fuel pump area noise. 2006 VW Passat 3.6L