Q: Check fuel fill inlet

Check fuel fill inlet warning sign comes on. I took my car to Ford dealer and was checked by the mechanic and told me that there is a vacuum leak. Did some tightening and reset the computer, but after a day the warning came back again. What should I do?

Hello. The "Check fuel inlet" message comes on when the computer detects that there is an issue with the vehicle’s EVAP system. The EVAP system is an emissions system that collects fumes from the gas tank and recirculates them into the engine for use as fuel. The sealed system uses a series of valves and sensors and includes the gas tank and all of the associated lines. If the computer detects that there is some sort of pressure loss or leak it will set off this message to notify the driver of the issue. If you have already tightened a specific hose and the light has returned then it may be possible that there is an issue elsewhere, perhaps with a different hose or in the form of a damaged or leaking component. Another common cause for this message, probably the most common, is a worn out fuel cap. The fuel cap is also a part of the EVAP system, and if the seal on it wears out or leaks it can set off the message. As EVAP leaks can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the exact cause of the warning message.

3. Check fuel fill inlet