Q: What should I know about checking tire pressure?

What should I know about checking tire pressure?

The amount of air in your car’s tires is more important than you might realize. It can affect everything from the life of your tires to how your car handles on the road, your fuel economy and much more. It’s very important that you keep the tires at the right pressure, but there are a few things that you should know about the process. Here’s a quick overview:

• Always check your tires when they’re cold. Don’t check them if you’ve driven more than a mile.

• If you check the tires when they’re warm, the reading will be off (air expands when it heats up).

• Make sure you have an accurate tire pressure gauge and never “eyeball” the tires. A tire can lose 40% or 50% of its pressure without appearing visibly low.

• Always make sure to reinstall your valve stem caps when you’re done. Dirt, water and debris can lodge in the valve stem if the cap isn’t on.

• Never check or release air after you’ve driven and the tires are warm. They will normally seem over pressure because air expands as it warms.