Q: How do I find top dead center using the teeth on the harmonic balancer?

The truck is throwing a p1336, which has to do with my camshaft and crankshaft syncronization. That's making it throw misfire codes. I replaced all of the sensors and the synchronizer itsself. can't seem to get the light to stay off. It comes back on within 5 miles if I shut it off once, and sometimes it blinks when it comes back on. The only thing I can think of is the crank timing for top dead center on cylender #1 isn't syncronized correctly with the camshaft synchroniser at the right degree. I need the tooth count on the harmonic ballancer for top dead center from the gapped tooth, and I also need the degree to set the synchronizer. I have the special tool.

Hi there. The following steps are to check for top dead center on your engine.

• Remove the left valve cover on the engine
  • rotate the crankshaft until the key way is facing up
  • Check the camshaft on the left that is exposed and see if the rocker arms under it are all the way up on the first cylinder (#1)
  • Then remove the spark plug to the first cylinder (#1) and put a straw in it to see if the piston is all the way up

If the piston is down or if the rocker arms are not aligned up, then you will have to rotate the crankshaft until the first cylinder (#1) rocker arms are both up. If you need further assistance with checking the timing on your engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. How do I find top dead center using the teeth on the harmonic balancer?