Q: Ground strap firewall to ? Can I cut and put new strap where I can reach

asked by on June 27, 2017

My ground strap from the firewall to the engine block? <~I'm guessing...is burnt n broke so I got new strap, a short strap but the original is long strap. I can't locate let alone reach the unknown end. Can I cut the old and jus leave it hanging? I worry the unattached end could possibly touch and short something out. And also then I could attach The new strap somewhere more accessible, but what could I attach it to? And also do I use the short strap? Or maybe 8 gauge wire? Honestly Im not a fan for lack of knowledge of electrical stuff plus this is a boys job, I'm a girl. So anything electronic scares crap out me. But seems like something I should be able to do I'm jus confused where is good place to reattach and can cut old leave it loose. Thank you so much

There are a number of ways to resolve this issue. The first of which is to trace the wire until you find the other end and replace the wire with the OEM part. You could also try to simply attatch a ring terminal to the end of the strap that broke off and ground it to something metal. Finally, if no electrical issues are present in your vehicle, you may be able to just let it hang with some electrical tape wrapped around it to avoid it coming in contact with anything.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr