Q: Scion tc, 2005, 83000 miles. Just had the battery replaced after the car was 'weak starting'. Now the car is shaking, and it feels

asked by on September 27, 2017

Started the car today and it was weak starting. Had the battery replaced and now the car is shaking, like it wants to stall. Called a mechanic and he said that the computer was in the process of resetting itself and i need to drive around for a while and the shaking will go away. Is this what it sounds like to you? No lights are coming on the dashboard. I am a nervous wreck. Thanks

Some learned engine operating parameters values, stored in the PCM (engine computer), can be lost when the battery is replaced. However, after 25 miles or so, the engine should operate normally as it did before. If it doesn’t, then there is obviously an issue that will have to be tracked down. If an operating problem persists, among the list of things to check is whether your PCM software has been updated by Toyota but the update has not yet been applied to your vehicle. If after 25 miles, the problem persists and you desire a diagnostic on a mobile basis, the recommended service is a Check Engine Light diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.