Q: Purchasing a used vehicle - A/C is not working

I'm looking at buying a used 2006 Hyundia Santa Fe and have been informed that the A/C in not working. Otherwise car in good condition, one owner, no accidents etc. I have not driven/seen car in person yet. I'm wondering if you have an estimate on repair costs and also if this is a red flag for other issues with this model/year of car? Any other helpful info regarding this purchase is greatly appreciated! Cheers, Amanda

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Inoperativ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Inoperative air conditioning can be caused by many possible problems, so it’s really difficult to make an estimate without seeing the car. Also making it difficult, is the fact that labor and part quotes on your vehicle can vary quite a bit depending on where you go and the mechanic doing the estimate. The reason for this is that different mechanics have different experience levels and sometimes tend to quote based upon their ability to get those parts at their price which varies by shop. Labor quotes can also vary depending on the skill level of the mechanic as it may take one mechanic longer than another to complete a specific job. If you would like to get a more accurate estimate of what repair costs would look like, I would recommend having a certified expert from YourMechanic give the car a pre-purchase inspection to examine the condition of the car.