Q: Check engine and cruise control lights come on simultaneously

asked by on May 13, 2016

My "check engine" light came on, and also the "cruise control" light. My mechanic thought it was a sensor, so he replaced that. But now the same lights are flashing. What should I do since my mechanic doesn't know what it is? Can you help me?

Hello. When the Check Engine Light comes on, it disables the cruise control. I would need to know the code to be able to tell what may be going on. I typically start by scanning the computer for codes to see what the computer is saying. From there, I would test whatever system is acting up.

The most common I have seen is a coil issue or a transmission temperature sensor - but without the codes it is hard to tell. If you want to have it looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your Check Engine Light and determine what needs repair.