2008 Ford F150 5.4l Crank but won't start after losinng o...

Q: 2008 Ford F150 5.4l Crank but won't start after losinng oil pressure due to incident with oil change

asked by on May 25, 2017

Changed oil in truck. After removing old oil filter the rubber gasket came off and I did not notice. Next day while driving to work, pressure built up to where oil was blowing out. Check engine and low oil pressure warning came on. Immediately pulled over. Had the car towed home. Diagnosed and fixed the issue. Refilled with oil. Truck cranks but will not start. Checked the PCM relay and the inertia switch. Truck sounds like it wants to fire but just doesn't make it. Is there another safety feature which I have to reset or should I start running down fuel delivery, filter, pump??

Hi there. Anytime you have an excessive oil pressure issue, it’s common for the ECU to store an error code that disables the ignition system to prevent internal damage to seals, gaskets or the engine components themselves. It is quite likely that the reason it won’t start is due to this error code or an ignition system failure; perhaps a crankshaft or cam position sensor; as they tend to be susceptible to oil pressure issues. The best way to diagnose this is to have a professional mechanic complete a check engine light inspection, so they can download any stored error codes, clear them and determine if your issue is resolved or mechanical in nature.