Q: i have a 2002 bmw 745li and im getting a message that says trans range N only when engine is on i just had trans service done

asked by on October 07, 2017

my transmission started shifting a little hard and i got a message on my dash that said transmission is hot pull over so i pulled over and checked the dipstick and there was nothing on it so i had it towed and a transmission service done now i get in and it starts up but when i switch the gear it goes back to park and tells me trans range N only when engine on im not sure what this and i need to fix it quickly

It is very possible that transmission damage could have occurred when the transmission overheated. This can only be determined usually by removing the transmission and checking all parts thoroughly. In this situation I would recommend having a transmission inspected by a qualified transmission specialist in order to resolve this issue.