Q: Ac not cold

I had a new compressor and drier installed and it only cools a bit better than before. The problem is that the air never gets cold. After 20-25 minutes it only cools a bit in this 95 degree plus weather where I live. I put a thermometer in the vents to check the temperature and it reads 60 degrees after 20 minutes. I also notice a mildew smell coming from the vents when I turn on the air. Had it checked twice and I am told everything is normal. What could be the issue?

A: Quite often, issues with maintaining cold a...

Quite often, issues with maintaining cold air flow with an air conditioner are due to a commonly overlooked issue - charging AC refrigerant.

Although most vehicles (like your Toyota 4-Runner) have a closed-loop AC, when a leak occurs and is repaired, it's critical to recharge the AC refrigerant.

Other issues you might want to have inspected by a local ASE certified mechanic include the cycling switch, which charges the refrigerant and allows maximum flow, or perhaps there is some sort of kink in your coolant lines.

Recommended services
Get a Quote