Q: Q: Ac not cold

I had a new compressor and drier installed and it only cools a bit better than before. The problem is that the air never gets cold. After 20-25 minutes it only cools a bit in this 95 degree plus weather where I live. I put a thermometer in the vents to check the temperature and it reads 60 degrees after 20 minutes. I also notice a mildew smell coming from the vents when I turn on the air. Had it checked twice and I am told everything is normal. What could be the issue?

Quite often, issues with maintaining cold air flow with an air conditioner are due to a commonly overlooked issue - charging AC refrigerant.

Although most vehicles (like your Toyota 4-Runner) have a closed-loop AC, when a leak occurs and is repaired, it’s critical to recharge the AC refrigerant.

Other issues you might want to have inspected by a local ASE certified mechanic include the cycling switch, which charges the refrigerant and allows maximum flow, or perhaps there is some sort of kink in your coolant lines.

3. Q: Ac not cold