Q: I have a 2002 Chrysler 300m that had been sitting up for a year. I replaced the rack and pinion but when backing up steering is hard. Plus I have a P0740 code.

asked by on March 21, 2017

I have a 2002 Chrysler 300m that had been sitting up for a year. I replaced the rack and pinion but when backing up steering is hard so I'm not sure if I need a new power steering pump. Also the steering wheel itself feels loose where it moves easily, the car doesn't move with it necessarily but it just feels loose. Also I have a P0740 code that came up but the car seems to shift gears fine.

Hi there. The issue with the steering being hard seems to be with the pump still having air in it. Start the engine and open the bleed valve slightly. Turn the steering wheel several times from left to right and back to left. Then top off the power steering fluid once the air is no longer visible in the reservoir. You may have to do this several times to remove all the air.

For the transmission issue, check the transmission fluid and see if its dirty and has a burnt smell. The code P0740 is related to the torque converter not engaging. For this, either the fluid is dirty or the solenoid to the torque converter is not engaging or the front seal on the input shaft could be damaged. If the fluid is dark but not black and has a slight burnt smell, I suggest dropping the transmission pan and flushing out the fluid and replacing the transmission filter.

If you need further assistance with your wheels hard to move in reverse and the check engine light being on for the transmission, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.