Q: Fuel pump is not coming on when try to start the vehicle.

asked by on September 12, 2016

My fuel pump is not coming on when I try to start my vehicle. I can jump the relay and the pump will run. I replaced the relay and the fuse but it still did not fix the problem. Any idea of what could be the problem? Could it possibly be a bad ecm? Also, when I do jump the relay to make the pump run, I do not get any fuel pressure to the fuel rail. This is a new fuel pump that I just bought and changed because the old fuel pump had a leak.

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. If you jump the fuel pump relay and still do not get fuel pressure, then you may have wired the fuel pump in backwards. The pump may be running backwards and not sucking in fuel. You need to make sure you installed the pump wiring correctly. If you need help from a certified mechanic, you can have your fuel pump installed by a technician from YourMechanic at your home or office.