Q: Car stalls while driving. It will start up after about 10 minutes.

Why is my car stalling while I am dtiving. It will start up after about 10 minutes. This has occured twice. Distributor was changed 15 months ago. The fuel pump and filter were changed about 20 months ago. The fuel pump relay swich was changed about 1 month ago. I noticed the oil was 2 1/2 quarts low today. I have since replenished the oil.( could being low on oil cause the engine to shut off so as not to overheat)

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like an ignition coil pack that may be failing. Ignition coils are prone to this type of erratic functioning or heat cycling when they are beginning to fail due to the temperature fluctuations under the hood which ultimately cause them to shut down causing the car to only run after cooling down for 30-40 minutes. Ignition coils are coated with a varnish-like insulation that becomes brittle over time after being stretched then contracted repeatedly The insulation develops small fractures that open when heated and close when cooled. When open, they allow shorting of coil windings and decrease or eliminate the coil’s ability to function. This process will repeat itself continuously until the coil ultimately fails completely and must be replaced. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your ignition system.

3. Car stalls while driving. It will start up after about 10 minutes.