Q: Codes p0456 and p0102. White-blueish smoke coming from exhaust no overheating and loss of power. Obviously not running right.

asked by on August 28, 2017

Codes p0456 and p0102.check engine and trac off light came on. White-blueish smoke coming from exhaust pipe when starting. But no overheating and loss of power. Randomly started shaking amd vibrating and i pulled over and shut off. Started back up and it was fine. Had it took to dealer and got fixed. They told me it was the mass air flow needed replaced. Had it back for 3 days and the lights came back on. The same smoke coming from exhaust pipe. Obviously not running right. Had codes pulled again at an autozone and i got p0456 and p0102. Open circuit condition, short to ground, MAF/VAF sensor failure, and faulty ecm. Please help thanks!

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The smoke could be burning oil. If the smoke occurs just at start up, the source could be leaking valve stem oil seals. If the smoke continues but is mainly white, that could signify an internal coolant leak. P0456 refers to a leak in the EVAP system. If a leak exists, it would usually be revealed by a smoke machine test. P0102 will set if the ECM is detecting a voltage output from the MAF sensor that is lower than normal or required by the ECU to function properly. Check for MAF wiring too close to higher voltage consumption components, especially alternators, ignition wires, etc. which can give false readings. Also, check for restrictions in airflow from the air cleaner to the MAF sensor such as a clogged air filter. The codes can be resolved if you request a check engine light diagnostic. Unless the smoke is due to an engine management or tuning issue, and perhaps resolved once the fault(s) behind the codes is pinpointed, the cause of smoking will otherwise be internal (seals or mechanical). The mechanic who performs the check engine light diagnostic will be in a position to evaluate the origin of the smoke. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr