Can a jeep run and drive without a water pump?? grand che...

Q: Can a jeep run and drive without a water pump??

asked by on March 02, 2017

Hello! So I've been car shopping on Craigslist and I came across a really nice 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with only 156k mikes and no rust. The only problem that the lady selling it told me about is the water pump. She said everything is great on it except the water pump. So if I replace the water pump, will that be it or do other things go out when the water pump does? Can something else go out from driving it with no water pump or can you even drive it at all with no water pump? I'm just concerned that maybe once I replace the water pump, more things that the lady failed to tell me about will need fixed. I know that it might be a little difficult to answer this due to the fact that I haven't looked at it yet, so I apologize. I just want to make sure that I can at least drive it home and maybe to a garage so I can get the water pump replaced without causing any damage to the car. The lady also recently replaced the break lines and power steering pump if that matters at all. Please help

Driving or running the engine without the water pump working to circulate the coolant through the motor will cause the motor to overheat and may damage the engine costing thousands of dollars versus using a tow truck to take the vehicle to the shop that will cost a lot less. I would not recommend running the engine more than a few minutes at a time or you will overheat it.