Q: When you start the vehicle it will turn but shuts off, why?

asked by on August 03, 2016

It will turn but will not stay on, it shuts right off. We first had to get the battery changed. We ended up having to get a new alternator. We took it to advance auto to have it tested and the code read throttle body, and we got a new one and we still have the problem. We even tried resetting the computer and that didn't work. So what is causing it not to stay on?

Car starts and then dies Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

It could be a number of things, but I feel the most likely cause is your key and immobilizer. If you have a spare key, try starting with the spare and see if that works. If it stays running, the original key is the problem.

You may need to re-program the key to your immobilizer unit. Refer to the factory service manual for details on how to re-program your key to the vehicle. Also, use a scanner to identify any diagnostic trouble codes that may be pointing towards the problem. Usually a faulty key chip will cause a code to show. If you want to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic has the tools and knowledge to fully test and diagnose the vehicle’s starting trouble.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr